• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Courtesy NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 11/16/2010

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Courtesy

NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
11/16/2010
That’s what was sorely missed from the Clinton group here just recently. They threw their weight around as if the man they were with was still US president, walang sinino, as our elders would say. Not the country’s vice-president, not the official wear of one of our indigenous tribes, never mind that their principal was here to lecture on “Embracing Our Common Humanity.”

I make it clear I have nothing against the United States of America. My sense of politics does not go as far as strongly taking sides between colonizer and colonized. Explain to me what US imperialism is and in five minutes I’m lost. The dictionary says it’s “a policy of extending a country’s power and influence through diplomacy or military force” and when my activist friends tell me that’s not good, I quickly rebut it’s not bad either.

In other words, I’m saying I’m more pro-America than anti. This may greatly have to do with my memories of the war: Back in our house in Maysilo, in Malabon, after my maternal grandparents’ house in Pinaglabanan, San Juan, was commandeered by the Japanese, Papa knew when MacArthur had landed in Leyte, and when the American forces had reached Lingayen, in Pangasinan. Walang peryodiko, walang radio o TV; lahat ng balita galing sa underground radio movement..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20101116com4.html

0 comments

Blog Archive