• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Singson resigns as Ilocos Sur congressman By Gerry Baldo 03/02/2011

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Singson resigns as Ilocos Sur congressman

By Gerry Baldo 03/02/2011

Rep. Ronald Singson yes-terday resigned as a member of the 15th Congress repre-senting the first district of Ilocos Sur resulting from his conviction by a Hong Kong court for drug trafficking and personal use of prohibited drugs after being caught by Customs police having the drugs in his person.

Singson’s e-mailed resig-nation letter was submitted to Speaker Feliciano Belmonte by
his father Ilocos Sur Gov. Luis “Chavit” Singson yesterday.

“I am tendering my resignation as a Congressman for the sake of my countryman, the Filipino people, especially my constituents in the first district of Ilocos Sur, who look up to the members of Congress with respect bordering on adulation, and with the undying hope for truly honorable legislators as exemplars of highest standards of behavior,” Singson said in his one-page letter to Belmonte.

“I am resigning, Your Honor, not because I am succumbing to the pressure of the noisy few among my honorable colleagues; rather, my resignation is a fulfilment of my promise to my father who had all the right to make the first and loudest protest because it was his name and honor that was mercilessly dragged into the tempest of my own undoing,” he said..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20110302hed6.html

0 comments

Blog Archive