• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

80 NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 11/05/2010

Friday, November 5, 2010

80

NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
11/05/2010
By the time you read this, I will have officially turned 80. I write this well in advance of the birthday dinner yet to take place, but I’m able to project what it will be like: A gathering of family and friends, an assembly of people who love me as I am, all eight decades of me.

I’ve had dancing parties for real dancers and wannabe dancers, and kantahan marathons for singers and wannabe singers. I’ve had one that turned gruesome, with the heinous murder of one of my guests, Nida Blanca, three days later. It’s been years since she’s been slain, and justice is yet to come. I didn’t believe then that Rod Strunk masterminded the killing of his wife, I don’t believe it still. And this we continue to discuss in my ensuing birthday parties.

As my natal day drew nearer, I’m told some went into a mini-panic over what to give me, the woman reputed to have everything. It’s always like this, no matter how I reassure associates I want nothing but the pleasure of their company. They fret. They bother. They call each other up: “Ano’ng ibibigay natin kay Tita Midz?”

As chairman of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB), I disallowed producers from giving us presents outside of our birthdays and Christmas. Even then, such presents were not to exceed P3,000 for birthdays and not to exceed P5,000, for Christmas..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20101105com4.html

0 comments

Blog Archive