• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

The old, among the new NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 05/18/2010

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The old, among the new



NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
05/18/2010
This was first going to be a tribute to the new young senators. It wasn’t going to matter if I didn’t vote for them (although I did re-electionist Jinggoy Estrada and newbie Ferdinand Marcos Jr.), or if I didn’t like them (and here I will politely not name the ones I don’t). The plan was to simply praise them for their youth, and by such praise encourage them to do good and show how very well they deserve the votes they got.

Yet as I gathered and re-read my research notes, one name stood out: Juan Ponce-Enrile, whose Web page since the start of the campaign period screamed “Enrile, Ibalik sa Senado! And the mini-headline, Juan Ponce-Enrile, Ang Manong N’yo sa Senado.” 

His videos were posted on the page, as well as his last message shortly before the polls: “The May 2010 elections present itself as a crossroads in our nation’s history where the toughest of choices have to be made. Needless to say, these times call for us to be critical and perceptive. We need to ask questions. We must consider all possibilities, and weigh all options. Whether we realize it or not, we hold in our hands the power to chart the course the Filipino nation must take in the days and years ahead.

“Get to know me and the issues I stand for through this Web site. As I seek fresh mandate from our people, I earnestly hope that I can once again count on you. The trust and confidence you have given me in the last 43 years of my public life have been a strong pillar of support as I endeavored to serve our country and our people to the best of my abilities. 

“Dala ang inyong tiwala at suporta, patuloy kong inaalay ang aking sarili sa paglilingkod sa ating bayan sa abot ng aking kakayanan. Magtulungan tayo upang makamit natin ang magandang bukas para sa ating lahat DAHIL GUSTO KO, HAPPY KA!”... MORE  

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20100518com4.html


0 comments

Blog Archive