This was first going to be a tribute to the new young senators. It wasn’t going to matter if I didn’t vote for them (although I did re-electionist Jinggoy Estrada and newbie Ferdinand Marcos Jr.), or if I didn’t like them (and here I will politely not name the ones I don’t). The plan was to simply praise them for their youth, and by such praise encourage them to do good and show how very well they deserve the votes they got. Yet as I gathered and re-read my research notes, one name stood out: Juan Ponce-Enrile, whose Web page since the start of the campaign period screamed “Enrile, Ibalik sa Senado! And the mini-headline, Juan Ponce-Enrile, Ang Manong N’yo sa Senado.” His videos were posted on the page, as well as his last message shortly before the polls: “The May 2010 elections present itself as a crossroads in our nation’s history where the toughest of choices have to be made. Needless to say, these times call for us to be critical and perceptive. We need to ask questions. We must consider all possibilities, and weigh all options. Whether we realize it or not, we hold in our hands the power to chart the course the Filipino nation must take in the days and years ahead. “Get to know me and the issues I stand for through this Web site. As I seek fresh mandate from our people, I earnestly hope that I can once again count on you. The trust and confidence you have given me in the last 43 years of my public life have been a strong pillar of support as I endeavored to serve our country and our people to the best of my abilities. Source: The Daily Tribune URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20100518com4.html |
|
-
6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the P...14 years ago
features from SOBRIETY for the PHILIPPINES:
(Without Fear or Favor)
Specials:
The old, among the new NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 05/18/2010
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Posted by
Jesusa Bernardo
at
9:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- ► 2012 (2791)
- ► 2011 (4620)
-
▼
2010
(4195)
-
▼
May
(352)
-
▼
May 18
(12)
- No respect for the law EDITORIAL 05/18/2010
- Back to a rubber stamp House FRONTLINE Ninez Cach...
- Monks pray for peace on edge of Bangkok flashpoint...
- The old, among the new NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Sig...
- Voting for development AN OUTSIDERS VIEW Ken Full...
- TRO sought vs Comelec’s flash cards destruction B...
- Gov. Nantes, 3 others dead in helicopter crash ...
- Comelec paid Smartmatic bulk of total deal cost ...
- Nograles wants poll automation plaints probed 0...
- Palace ‘alright’ with return of nepotism under Noy...
- Congratulations, senators SILVER LINING Dean Er...
- Sri Lanka seeks harmony between elephants and huma...
-
▼
May 18
(12)
-
▼
May
(352)


0 comments
Post a Comment