• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Choices are few HE SAYS Aldrin Cardon 10/25/2010

Monday, October 25, 2010

Choices are few

HE SAYS
Aldrin Cardon
10/25/2010
Just as I did last May, I will cast my vote today as a silent declaration of my choices for the select men and women who could become leaders of my community.

Hopefully, our neighborhood would know the winners in the very first local elections under Noynoy Aquino’s watch just several hours after sunset.

I will vote because it is my obligation to my country. And I will try my best to make the right choices for my community, which is the most basic of social groupings outside of our families.

The balangay, or barangay, was the symbol of civilized communities even before Magellan’s fleet arrived on the beaches of Limasawa. And it was the balangay, led by it chieftain Lapu-Lapu, who slew the giants who would rule us for three centuries. I believe it was the last instance when the balangay proved its strength and independence.

Boholano chieftains Sikatuna and Sigala had become collaborators of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi in establishing a permanent Spanish settlement in Cebu, and so began 300 years of their oppressive conquest, which, on the positive side, welded a nation that was to become the Philippines..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20101025com6.html

0 comments

Blog Archive