• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    5 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Impeach Noynoy! EDITORIAL Click to enlarge 02/16/2012

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Impeach Noynoy!

EDITORIAL
Click to enlarge
02/16/2012
The official who really should be impeached is President Aquino while the rest of his mouthpieces and other officials should be fired, and along with him, his lapdogs in the Senate and the House of Representatives thrown out of their seats.

Noynoy is one president who has, what can really be said, betrayed the public trust for committing the high crime of deliberately moving to destroy the very fabric of the tripartite Republican State which the Filipino people have decreed and ordered him, as President of the Republic, to uphold, defend and obey.

Since he has publicly shown in too many instances disobeying the decree of the Filipino people, as ratified by them of the 1987 Constitution, then he is betraying the public trust..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20120216com1.html

‘Increase’ in health budget deceiving – Alliance of Health Workers

“Under the Aquino administration, public health services are no longer free but they come for a fee.” – Alliance of Health Workers
By INA ALLECO SILVERIO
Bulatlat.com

Employees in the health sector led by the Alliance of Health Workers (AHW) and allied organizations under the Health Alliance for Democracy (HEAD) held a protest action in Mendiola, on Valentines Day, against the policy of the Benigno Aquino III administration of “cutting allocations for health services and benefits of rank and file health workers.”


(Photo by Ina Alleco Silverio / bulatlat.com)
The AHW is opposing the Department of Health (DOH) department order no. 2012-0002, which effectively reduces the subsistence and laundry allowance of health workers by P30/working day ($0 .70) and P130/month ($3.02) respectively. The group has already sought clarification from the Department of Budget and Management (BDM), but the agency insisted that the reduction of benefits was “a policy decision.”

In the meantime, the AHW is also wary against the delay in the release, or worse, the probable reduction or removal of their hard-won benefits such as hazard pay and others stipulated in the Magna Carta of Public Health Workers (RA 7305) because the DBM decided to take away the “savings” in the unfilled plantilla positions from which the benefits are sourced.

Last month on January 11, the DOH released order number 2012-0002 addressed to all undersecretaries, assistant secretaries, bureau/service directors, medical center chiefs of all government-run hospitals regarding the payment of magna carta benefits to officials and employees of the DOH.


(Photo by Ina Alleco Silverio / bulatlat.com)
In it, the DOH led by secretary Enrique Ona said the subsistence allowance and laundry allowance of employees will be adjusted effective that same month. The memo also declared that the payment of hazard and longevity pay charged from any available savings of all government health offices and hospitals will be subject to the DBM’s approval.

Increase in health budget goes to contractualization,PPP schemes

AHW national president Jossel Ebesete said the Aquino government has been imposing budget cuts in the operations of most public hospitals. Since 2010, the government, Ebesete said, has been reducing allotments for direct service provisions like vaccinations, as well as removing subsidies for the hospitalization needs of indigent patients..... MORE

SourceBulatlat.com

URL: http://bulatlat.com/main/2012/02/16/increase-in-health-budget-deceiving-%E2%80%93-alliance-of-health-workers/

UN stalemate over Syria resolution (w/ Video)



UN stalemate over Syria resolution

The UN General Assembly is due to vote on a second draft resolution stipulating the removal of President Assad to end the spiraling violence in Syria. It is the second attempt at passing a resolution after China and Russia vetoed the first document.

The new resolution supports the Arab League initiative to facilitate transition to a democratic government will be put to vote later on Thursday.

Russia objects to the paragraph demanding the resignation of President Assad and wants amendments to the draft calling for the disarmament of opposition groups as well as government forces. Arab delegations have dismissed the Russian amendments as unacceptable, claiming they undermine the draft resolution’s message..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://rt.com/news/general-assembly-syria-resolution-assad-443/

Battlefield USA in 2012 (w/ Video)



Battlefield USA in 2012

In 2012 America will become a battlefield of the will of the people against the will of the government, proclaims Gerald Celente, the founder of the Trends Research Institute and publisher of the Trends Journal.

­The Occupy Wall Street movement has gone global and that is evidence that “people a keep kind of latch on to it”.

“Even though you think the American spirit is dead, the whole world kind of focuses on the US for the center of social, economic, geopolitical and cultural change,” claims Celente, who said OWS inspired people in an estimated 80 countries and 120 cities. And police brutality only brought it to the forefront..... MORE

SourceRT.com

URL: http://rt.com/news/usa-battlefield-2012-celente-473/

FBI might shutdown the Internet on March 8

FBI might shutdown the Internet on March 8


Millions of computer users across the world could be blocked off from the Internet as early as March 8 if the FBI follows through with plans to yank a series of servers originally installed to combat corruption.

Last year, authorities in Estonia apprehended six men believed responsible for creating a malicious computer script called the DNSChanger Trojan. Once set loose on the Web, the worm corrupted computers in upwards of 100 countries, including an estimated 500,000 in America alone. The US Federal Bureau of Investigation later stepped up by replacing the rogue Trojan with servers of their own in an attempt to remediate the damage, but the fix was only temporary. Now the FBI is expected to end use of those replacement servers as early as next month and, at that point, the Internet for millions could essentially be over..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://rt.com/usa/news/fbi-internet-server-servers-409/

Abortion — 1 VIEWPOINTS Archbishop Oscar V. Cruz 02/16/2012

Abortion — 1

VIEWPOINTS
Archbishop Oscar V. Cruz
02/16/2012
“The State …shall equally protect the life of the mother and the life of the unborn from conception.” (Philippine Constitution: Section 12).

Thus reads the categorical State policy on the protection of the “life” of the “unborn” from the moment of “conception.” The more salient observations that can be drawn from the above cited constitutional provision are the following: That in the order of nature, the essential sequence is conception that brings forth life which in turn ushers forth the unborn — all as one composite reality. That without life, there is nothing really worth to talk about, nothing truly important to bother with. That intrinsic right of the unborn is premised on the fact that it is only there from that someone is born..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20120216com6.html

Nothing but a fairy tale LETTER 02/16/2012

Nothing but a fairy tale

LETTER

02/16/2012
Dear Editor:
In the Feb. 13, 2012 issue of The Daily Tribune, Mr. Charlie V. Manalo alleged (Prosecution spokesman also building house in ritzy village, Page 1) that I own what he described as a multimillion-peso three-story house in Varsity Hills, Quezon City, quoting unnamed sources. A picture of said house with a specific address at 152 B.Gonzales St., Varsity Hills, Loyola Heights, Quezon City was also provided.

This is totally untrue and nothing but a fairy tale.

I do not own the mentioned property. I have never been to Varsity Hills and in fact I do not even know where it was located until yesterday morning. Neither do I, my spouse nor any of my children own a property in Xavierville or Varsity Hills Subdivision..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20120216com7.html

US bases return seen as Okinawa base closes By Michaela P. del Callar 02/16/2012

US bases return seen as Okinawa base closes

By Michaela P. del Callar 02/16/2012

American military bases seem to be returning to the Philippines under President Aquino’s government, despite the 1987 Constitution banning the stay of foreign military bases

It is being done in such a circuitous way that circumvents the constitutional proviso on military bases.

The United States is eyeing the transfer of some of the thousands of American troops stationed in Okinawa to the Philippines as Washington reduces its military presence in the Japanese island, where residents have called for the shutdown of its large military base..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20120216hed6.html

RP protests fight riot; Senate wants envoy to Argentina recalled 02/16/2012

RP protests fight riot; Senate wants envoy to Argentina recalled

02/16/2012
Argentinian officials in Manila yesterday apologized to the Philippines after a Filipino boxer was attacked by enraged fans moments after winning over his local opponent in Buenos Aires, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said, adding a protest has already been lodged to the government of Argentina conveying its dismay over the incident.

The DFA also said Argentinian boxer Luis Alberto Lazarte, who lost his International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-flyweight title to Johnriel Casimero in a bout Saturday, personally apologized to the Filipino boxer and his team.

Outraged Philippine senators demanded the recall of the Philippine Ambassador to Argentina Rey Carandang, accusing him of failure to protect the welfare of the Filipino boxing delegation..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20120216hed4.html

PSBank executives: Records still ‘fake’ By Angie M. Rosales 02/16/2012

PRESIDENT, MANAGER ORDERED TO PRODUCE PESO ACCT ORIGINALS

PSBank executives: Records still ‘fake’

By Angie M. Rosales 02/16/2012

The presiding judge of the Senate Court has spoken and his order must be complied with by the Philippine Savings Bank (PSBank) officials called upon as witnesses for the prosecution.

Bank executives, appearing as witnesses in the ongoing impeachment trial of Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona, yesterday stood their ground in their declaration that the prosecution panel’s alleged evidence is a “fake.”

If it is proven that the documents pertaining to some alleged undisclosed bank accounts of the chief magistrate in the PSBank which two members of the House prosecution panel claimed to have been produced by an “anonymous source,” members of the lower house defending the case face serious sanctions..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20120216hed1.html

Ombudsman won’t probe SALn of CJ prosecutors for lack of leads By Arlie O. Calalo 02/16/2012

Ombudsman won’t probe SALn of CJ prosecutors for lack of leads

By Arlie O. Calalo 02/16/2012

The Office of the Ombudsman said yesterday it could not be able to conduct an inquiry on the alleged non-disclosure of statements of assets, liabilities and networth (SALn) of the prosecutors involved in the impeachment trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona due to “lack of sufficient leads.”

The supposed probe will also involve the prosecution spokesmen as well as the senator-judges of the impeachment court, said Edgardo Diansuy, director of the Ombudsman’s media bureau.

He said in a statement emailed to Tribune that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales would not initiate an inquiry because there were no enough leads to push through with it..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/nation/20120216nat2.html

Retrieval operations extended for 1 day; effort shift to rehab 02/16/2012

Retrieval operations extended for 1 day; effort shift to rehab

02/16/2012
Retrieval operations at the landslide-hit villages in Negros Oriental province were extended up tomorrow after which the areas will be declared as common memorial sites for the 63 people who remained unaccounted for after the Feb. 6 magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Visayas region.

National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director Undersecretary Benito Ramos said the local government officials set the retrieval operations in Guihulngan City and La libertad town until yesterday to focus more to the rehabilitation efforts.

“Until Friday, it should be today (Thursday) as requested by the mayor, so I extended it for another day tomorrow. We have not recovered additional (victims)…63 remained missing and 42 are dead,” Ramos said..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/nation/20120216nat4.html

Four new AFP choppers arrive in Pampanga By Mario J. Mallari 02/16/2012

Four new AFP choppers arrive in Pampanga

By Mario J. Mallari 02/16/2012

Four brand new night-capable, combat utility helicopters arrived in the country on Tuesday night as part of the ongoing multibillion-peso capability upgrade and modernization program of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

AFP deputy chief of staff for plans and programs Maj. Gen. Roy Deveraturda said the four Polish-made Sokol utility helicopters, which are part of the eight helicopters purchased from Augusta PZL Swidnik of Italy and Poland, arrived in Clark Air Base in Pampanga.

“We are presently inspecting them…they will be assembled in Clark Air Base by our assessment of the Philippine Air Force. So, as soon as possible we could use them,” Deveraturda said..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/nation/20120216nat3.html

Manila Cathedral closed, to undergo repairs — archbishop By Efren B. Chavez 02/16/2012

Manila Cathedral closed, to undergo repairs — archbishop

By Efren B. Chavez 02/16/2012

The historic Manila Cathedral will officially close indefinitely to give way to a structural retrofitting amid concerns that the “liquefaction” in the soil on which it stands could render it at risk in a strong earthquake, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila (RCAM) chief announced Monday.

At a press conference, newly appointed Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle said since last Tuesday the Manila Metropolitan Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception has been closed due to some structural concerns.

The 441-year-old church will not accept any bookings of weddings, christenings and funeral Masses for the next seven months or even one year..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/metro/20120216met2.html

Gabriela members sneak past guards of Pandacan oil depot, hold rally 02/16/2012

Gabriela members sneak past guards of Pandacan oil depot, hold rally

02/16/2012
The Manila Police District (MPD) was surprised when members of militant group Gabriela stormed on Valentine’s Day the heavily secured Pandacan oil depot and staged a rally to denounce the unabated increase in petroleum prices. According to the group, the .85 centavos increase in the price of diesel products and .50 centavos in gasoline after successive price increases are too much for the poor who are the most affected.

“Linta (leeches) ang mga kumpanya ng langis kung sumipsip ng tubo mula sa mamamayang hindi na makaagapay sa pagkamahal-mahal ng langis, sa walang patid na pagtaas ng presyo ng langis ay unti-unting pinapatay ang mamamayang Pilipino,” Salvador, deputy secretary- general of Gabriela, said..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/metro/20120216met4.html

There was an error in this gadget

Blog Archive