• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    5 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Treason FRONTLINE Ninez Cacho-Olivares 04/28/2012

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Treason

FRONTLINE
Ninez Cacho-Olivares
04/28/2012
The Noynoy government and the Muslim secessionist group’s Points on Principles recently forged by the parties shows the Noynoy’s government agreement to establish a Bangsamoro independent substate to be governed by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

That the Muslim substate will eventually become an independent Muslim state, can easily be gleaned by the agreement, even if thinly disguised by both parties as the entity being a part of the Republic.

As stated in the agreement, the principles stated is “preliminary” and does not contain all points so far agreed upon and does not preclude future agreements on other key points.”.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20120428com2.html

Missing out on a golden chance EDITORIAL 04/28/2012

Missing out on a golden chance

EDITORIAL
Click to enlarge
04/28/2012
Noynoy missed out again on a golden opportunity to portray himself as a champion of the farmers and the landless due to his continued strange silence over the Supreme Court’s final decision for the distribution to the farmers of some 4,000 hectares of Hacienda Luisita land as well as compensating the hacienda owners based on land values pegged at 1989 prices.

While it cannot be denied that the Aquino-Cojuangco clan lost the case, as the family not only wanted to retain the status quo, i.e., keep the stock distribution option status and, after the loss of the land, be compensated at a P5 to 10 billion cost, Noynoy and his image makers could have turned the situation to his advantage — had he no only accepted with grace the decision to parcel out the hacienda and hail the court’s decision, but also for him to have directed his agrarian agency to speed up the distribution of the farmland to the workers, thus bowing to the majesty of the law.

Instead, Noynoy’s continued silence on the decision of the high court created for himself an image of a sulking hacienda owner who is not only a poor loser but also one who refuses to bow to the law — as interpreted by the highest court in the land..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20120428com1.html

Stallman: CISPA 'nearly abolishes' the right not to be unreasonably searched



Stallman: CISPA 'nearly abolishes' the right not to be unreasonably searched


Controversial online security bill CISPA is two steps away from becoming a law. Software freedom activist Richard Stallman says Internet users should beware, as the government is a much bigger threat than any individual hacker.

“What CISPA says as passed by the House of Representatives is any ISP, any website, any company that has some of your data in it can voluntarily hand it over to the government for a wide range of reasons,” and it's up to the government to interpret it however they see fit, the father of the free software philosophy explained.

“So if they see the slightest bit that they think is odd in your email, they can hand it over to the government. And if the government says it has something to do with national security – it is very easy to say that, whether it’s true or not – then the government can study it for any purpose. This nearly abolishes people’s right not to be unreasonably searched.”.... MORE

SourceRT.com

URL: http://rt.com/news/stallman-cispa-human-rights-abuse-174/

Satellite images show activity at N. Korea nuclear site

Satellite images show activity at N. Korea nuclear site


Satellite imagery reveals an escalation in activity at North Korea’s Punggye-ri atomic site in possible preparation for a third nuclear test, experts say. However, there is no clear indication from the photos when the test may occur.

­The images from a US-based website highlight a chain of mining carts on piles of excavated soil. This coincides with South Korean intelligence reports at the beginning of April claiming that the North was digging a new tunnel at the Punggye-ri for the purposes of a covert nuclear test.

The US-Korea Institute at John Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies analyzed the photos taken between March 8 and April 18 by a private satellite operator. The most recent images suggest that 8,000 cubic meters of rubble have been excavated at Punggye-ri. North Korea carried out two atomic bomb tests at the site in 2006 and 2009..... MORE
SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://rt.com/news/north-korea-photo-nuclear-test-188/

Police vs Protester: Feds sending armed agents to Chicago three weeks before NATO Summit

Police vs Protester: Feds sending armed agents to Chicago three weeks before NATO Summit


May's NATO summit in Chicago is still weeks away, but residents of the Windy City can expect to see armed federal agents patrolling the streets in preparation much sooner than that.

Three weeks before international heads of state will converge in Chicago, Illinois for the annual NATO conference, the US Federal Protective Service will send armed officers into the city’s downtown district to prepare for the swarm of protesters expected to arrive in time for the event, slated for May 20 and 21.

Both the NATO and G-8 summits were initially scheduled to occur back-to-back in the major Midwest city, but the meeting between the world’s eight leading economies has since been relocated to Camp David, the fortified presidential retreat in Maryland used as a getaway destination for many of America’s past commanders-in-chief. As of now, however, the NATO summit will take place in Chicago and, citing concerns over how demonstrators may respond, law enforcement is being called in early to size up the city..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://rt.com/usa/news/agents-chicago-nato-federal-161/

Police fired live bullets during clash in Parañaque City’s Silverio compound

Police fired live bullets during clash in Parañaque City’s Silverio compound


By JANESS ANN J. ELLAO
Bulatlat.com
MANILA – Outside the emergency room of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH), Buddy Padil, 37, silently sat. He is the uncle of Iris Isaias, 18, who sustained a gunshot wound during the demolition at Silverio compound in Parañaque City on April 23.

A bullet pierced Iris’ calf. “The bullet went through it. The bulet shattered the area of the bone it hit and the doctor said that they need to put metal on it,” Padil said.

Iris was first brought to Ospital ng Muntinlupa but the hospital was not equipped to treat her wounds. She was transferred to the PGH.

“She was only standing outside the compound when she suddenly noticed that the people were already carrying her, shouting. It was only then that realized that she was hit,” Padil said, “These days we would always catch her staring at nothing. She might still be in a state of shock.”

On April 25, Iris went through an operation. Padil said that Isaias’ father, Danilo, a carpenter, is at a loss as to where they would get money to pay for the operation. Doctors told them that the metal that would be placed in Isaias’ left calf costs US$1,465.

The number of residents with gunshot wounds remains undetermined as documentation is still on going. Iris and the other injured residents belied earlier claims that the policemen used blank and/or rubber bullets.

Shooting at bystanders

Also at the PGH was Angelo Lipata, 21. Angelo could hardly hear the questions asked to him as a bullet is stuck in his left ear drum. He was told by his doctors to go home for the time being, citing that they could not operate and remove the bullet until the wound is healed.

During the demolition, Angelo was watching videos of the then ongoing conflict between the Silverio compound residents who were defending their homes and the police. The videos had been quickly uploaded on YouTube by alternative media group Tudla Productions. After watching them, he decided to go out and see for himself what was happening outside. He went and stood next to the barricade when the police began to fire indiscriminately at the residents, who ran for their lives..... MORE

SourceBulatlat.com

URL: http://bulatlat.com/main/2012/04/28/police-fired-live-bullets-during-clash-in-paranaque-citys-silverio-compound/

China involves military in Scarborough tiff with RP By Michaela P. del Callar and Angie M. Rosales 04/28/2012

China involves military in Scarborough tiff with RP

By Michaela P. del Callar and Angie M. Rosales 04/28/2012

China announced yesterday that its military will now join its maritime authorities in protecting its claim over a shoal within Manila’s territorial jurisdiction as tensions between the Philippines and China showed no sign of letting up nearly three weeks after a dangerous naval standoff began.

China’s statement, one of its most provocative yet, was made three days after declaring that it is not escalating the situation in the area and that it is committed to settle the standoff through friendly diplomatic consultations.

“Chinese armed forces will closely work with fishery and maritime supervision agencies to jointly safeguard national marine rights and interests,” Defense Ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng said in a statement posted on Beijing’s government web portal..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20120428hea1.html

HLI statement on ‘Cory’s glowing legacy’ a grave insult to farmers, says KMP By Charlie V. Manalo 04/28/2012

HLI statement on ‘Cory’s glowing legacy’ a grave insult to farmers, says KMP

By Charlie V. Manalo 04/28/2012

A militant farmers’ group has branded as “grave insult” to the farm workers’ struggle the Cojuangco family’s claim that the distribution of Hacienda Luisita to its farmer-beneficiaries as a “glowing legacy” of the late President Corazon “Cory” Cojuangco-Aquino.

“Only two days after the Supreme Court ruling, the Cojuangco-Aquinos are already maneuvering to distort the historical facts,” the Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP) yesterday said in a statement in reaction to the claims of Antonio Ligon, counsel for Hacienda Luisita Inc. (HLI), who claimed that the late President “made decisive moves to place Hacienda Luisita in the 1980s under the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (CARP) although the preference of farmer-beneficiaries for stock distribution option (SDO) prevailed in at least three referendums over land distribution.”.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20120428hea3.html

UK: M’nao peace accord ‘possible’ but more hard work to be done By Michaela P. del Callar 04/28/2012

UK: M’nao peace accord ‘possible’ but more hard work to be done

By Michaela P. del Callar 04/28/2012

The United Kingdom, a key player in the Mindanao peace process, yesterday welcomed the breakthrough in the negotiations between the Philippine government and Muslim rebels as a sign that a final peace agreement may be forged soon.

British Ambassador to the Philippines Stephen Lillie admitted “there is still a lot of hard work to be done to reach a final agreement in Mindanao,” but the leap forward in the talks between the two sides indicates that the signing of a final accord is “possible.”

On Tuesday, the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, the country’s largest Muslim rebel group, signed a 10-point agreement, outlining key elements they have agreed on, such as the creation of a political body in place of the existing Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/nation/20120428nat1.html

Export Bank collapses; BSP takes over control 04/28/2012

Export Bank collapses; BSP takes over control

04/28/2012
Mid-size Export Import Bank was placed under government control after declaring a bank holiday yesterday after it admitted that it cannot service its liabilities with depositors and creditors.

The bank was hoping for a rescue from the country’s biggest lender Bando de Oro Universal Bank owned by the group of businessman Henry Sy but negotiations fell through yesterday forcing the bank to declare a bank holiday.

The bank wrote the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) admitting that it does not have sufficient assets to meet its obligations and unable to continue operations without incurring losses to depositors and creditors..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20120428hea5.html

Use of CRs in QC now free for elderly, PWDs 04/28/2012

Use of CRs in QC now free for elderly, PWDs

04/28/2012
An ordinance has been signed into law which prohibits any person or business establishment in Quezon City from charging any fee to senior citizens, persons with disabilities (PWDs) and expectant mothers for the use of restrooms or comfort rooms (CRs).

The Tribune was told that Mayor Herbert “Bistek” Bautista approved the measure which was authored by Councilors Alexis Herrera and Alfredo Vargas III.

Under the new ordinance, a fine of P5,000 or imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year, or both, at the discretion of the court shall be imposed on any person or business establishment owner who will violate the ordinance..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/metro/20120428met4.html

Gov’t hit for toying with health, lives of Filipino consumers 04/28/2012 As the United States scrambled on Wednesday to contain the fallout from the discovery of mad-cow disease in California, the Aquino administration through the Department of Agriculture (DA) announced that it would continue to import meat from the US. Bayan Muna Rep. Teddy Casiño pointed out to do so is very risky and the government is toying with the health and lives of Filipino consumers. “South Korean retailers already suspended sale of US beef, saying they would wait to see what action the government takes,” Casiño said. “But is Malacañang waiting for someone to be infected here before it will take action?”

Gov’t hit for toying with health, lives of Filipino consumers

04/28/2012
As the United States scrambled on Wednesday to contain the fallout from the discovery of mad-cow disease in California, the Aquino administration through the Department of Agriculture (DA) announced that it would continue to import meat from the US.

Bayan Muna Rep. Teddy Casiño pointed out to do so is very risky and the government is toying with the health and lives of Filipino consumers.

“South Korean retailers already suspended sale of US beef, saying they would wait to see what action the government takes,” Casiño said. “But is Malacañang waiting for someone to be infected here before it will take action?”.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/metro/20120428met2.html

There was an error in this gadget

Blog Archive