• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Obama calls Noynoy, offers to help him quit smoking 06/11/2010

Friday, June 11, 2010

Obama calls Noynoy, offers to help him quit smoking


06/11/2010

President-elect Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino had 15 to 20 minutes, all for himself, of the time of US President Barack Obama, immediately after he was proclaimed by Congress as the winner in the May 10 elections.

And in that conversation, where Aquino admitted that there was some dead air between the two of them, the President-elect opted to inject some humor, that of his oft-criticized smoking vice which the US leader was also known for in the past, until he decided to kick the habit. 

Aquino shared with reporters yesterday his experience of talking personally, over the phone, to Obama who congratulated him on his proclamation by Congress last Wednesday.

The President-elect narrated that he and Obama initially had an awkward moment, as they are “not close” and that it was their first time to talk to each other actually.

“He had more experience than I had in talking to foreign heads of state. At some point I attempted some humor. Mr. President I understand we have the same issue with smoking. And he said, ‘well I quit that already. I quit, it’s your sole problem. I’m ready to offer advice,’” he said quoting Obama.

Aquino said the US leader promised to send the advice “at the time that you decide to quit.”

“We had a pleasant conversation. I won’t say we are very close, it’s the first time I talked to him. But again I believe he was very sincere in his words of fostering stronger relationships with our country. And I think the (US) ambassador in my initial meeting with him really exuded that drive to make our relationship that much better. So I am hopeful they really would talk first in addressing the problems of our country,” he said.... MORE    

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20100611hed4.html


0 comments

Blog Archive