features from SOBRIETY for the PHILIPPINES:
(Without Fear or Favor)
Saturday, June 2, 2012
By GINA DIZON
TABUK, Kalinga – The unconsulted tribal leaders and members of the Naneng Ancestral Domain comprising the villages of Lucong, Bagumbayan, and Dupag petitioned the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP), the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and the Department of Energy (DOE) to cancel a water rights permit and a compliance certificate process obtaining free prior and informed consent (FPIC) issued to the Minanga sub tribe of Barangay Dupag.
Nearly 150 petitioners claimed they were not consulted as per provisions of the Indigenous Peoples Rights Act (IPRA) endowing the rights and process of FPIC of the affected community to the proposed building of the Upper Tabuk Hydro power Electric Dam or Dupag Dam project. Said compliance certificate to the FPIC process was issued May 14, 2009 by NCIP Officer in Charge and Commissioner for southern and eastern Mindanao Felecito Masagnay, following a resolution issued by the NCIP en banc May 12, 2009.
Petitioners in their April 25 resolution also asked Secretary Ramon Paje of the DENR to cancel the water rights permit issued in favor of the project proponent Kalinga Hydropower Incorporated. In the same resolution, the petitioners asked Secretary Jose Almendras to cancel the hydro power service contract given to the Kalinga Hydro Power Inc or the Minanga sub tribe.
Petitioners claimed that the indigenous cultural communities of Naneng and Minanga are homogenous societies and as such the Minanga sub tribe is not a distinct sub tribe, being part of the Naneng ancestral domain.
The proposed Upper Tabuk Hydro Power Electric Dam or Dupag dam project along the Tanudan river reaches 35.4 meters in height to collect a million cubic meters of water at the back of the dam and release waters at a frequency of 40 to 60 meters per second. Two turbines are designed to let the flowing waters produce a 10 to 17 megawatt hydroelectric current..... MORE
- ► July (405)
- Philippines urged to stop killings, other rights a...
- Corona out, economy up EDITORIAL 06/02/2012
- No let up on vindictiveness FRONTLINE Ninez Cacho-...
- Bilderbergers commit a felony?
- Social downer: Anonymous crash Facebook, lock out ...
- Naneng tribe oppose Upper Tabuk Hydropower Dam
- As tribute to Benguet coffee farmers and environme...
- China conflict tops Noy’s agenda in US, UK By Fern...
- Maguindanao massacre witness dismembered, says law...
- Read Noynoy’s lips: ‘No waiver, period’ By Fernan ...
- BIR moves vs Corona, secures bank waiver By Angie ...
- AFP admits planning lapses in first year of Bayani...
- Manila dads stall takeover by PPA of Isla Puting B...
- Ecleo dropped from House roll after SC found him g...
- Solon flays BIR for using wrong data on smuggling ...
- ▼ Jun 02 (15)
- ► May (404)
- ► April (338)
- ► March (409)
- ► February (378)
- ► January (372)
- ► December (345)
- ► November (396)
- ► October (405)
- ► September (374)
- ► August (378)
- ► July (378)
- ► June (353)
- ► May (350)
- ► April (385)
- ► March (447)
- ► February (389)
- ► January (420)
- ► December (412)
- ► November (423)
- ► October (428)
- ► September (414)
- ► August (408)
- ► July (391)
- ► June (394)
- ► May (352)
- ► April (284)
- ► March (270)
- ► February (231)
- ► January (188)
- ► December (193)