• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Beyond Zubiri NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 08/07/2011

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Beyond Zubiri

NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
08/07/2011
Returning from a family vacation out of the country, the first big thing I saw on TV last week was Jose Miguel Zubiri delivering a privilege speech on the Senate floor, “Without admitting any fault and with my vehement denial of the alleged electoral fraud hurled against me, I am submitting my resignation as a duly elected Senator of the Republic of the Philippines in the election for which I am falsely accused without mercy and compassion,” he said.

I wept for him.

Not that I did not take a stand on the senatorial elections of 2007, for I was one of the many who protested that year’s final and clearly fraudulent tabulation results at the Philippine International Convention Center. But I am not alone, in feeling for Zubiri.

My editor-in-chief calls what he did, a “class act.”.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20110807com4.html

0 comments

Blog Archive