• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

The FAP awards NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 07/12/2011

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The FAP awards

NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
07/12/2011
And so it was that this Lola got the Fernando Poe Jr. Lifetime Achievement award at the 29th Film Academy of the Philippines Luna Awards, held at the Quezon City Sports Club last Sunday evening from Movie and Television Review and Classification Board Chairman Mary Grace Poe-Llamanzares. What used to be the FAP Lifetime Achievement award was re-named, in 2005, after the real winner of the 2004 presidential elections.
The recognition means much to me.
Almost soon after World War II, Fernando Poe Sr.’s Palaris Films shot parts of a film in our family compound in Maysilo, in Malabon. I brazenly went up to Mike Caguin, the director, to give me a screen test, and he did. A few days later, I was asked to go to the Palaris Films Studios in San Francisco del Monte for a few more tests. Three more days, and came the offer for me to be the juvenile lead in the company’s next production. I was thrilled, my mother was supportive, but Papa not only screamed his disapproval, he sent me to the United States to study. It took me more than 30 years to finally act in film, and Papa was gone when for my premiere portrayal of a leper, I won a Best Supporting Actress trophy from the Bacolod Film Festival, in 1976..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20110712com4.html

0 comments

Blog Archive