• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

DR Congo villagers spurn raped wives focus 07/08/2011

Friday, July 8, 2011

DR Congo villagers spurn raped wives

focus

07/08/2011
NAKIELE — After being raped by government troops, women in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo face the further pain and humiliation of being repudiated by their husbands.

“My husband refuses to share the bed with me. I sleep on the floor,” one woman who asked not to be named told AFP in the eastern village of Nakiele, where soldiers raped more than 100 women in early June.

“My husband also rejects the meals I cook for him. He eats the ones my sisters make for him. I don’t understand why I should be abandoned,” said the woman, who is 19 years old with a six-month-old baby.

In Nakiele, a village of 12,300 inhabitants perched on a hill overlooking the Fizi plateau in Sud-Kivu province, 121 women told a hospital doctor that they were raped on the night of June 11 by renegade troops..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20110708com3.html

0 comments

Blog Archive