• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Exporting culture NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 06/07/2011

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Exporting culture

NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
06/07/2011
I’m back, as are most of the singers of “Aawitan Kita sa Amerika,” a grueling but exhilarating 12-show tour of the United States, that took us a little over a month to do. Where before I’d somehow be able to send out my piece for this corner from no matter what part of the world I was, in the recent weeks it was just impossible to do so.

Not to excuse my inordinately long absence here, but on weekends we’d practically crawl to bed after a performance then soon after wake up to catch the first flight out to yet another state. First flights usually go at 6 a.m., and since there were a good number of times we were billeted two hours away from the airport, that meant being up and about at 3 a.m., ready to go, with our personal luggage and two large boxes of costumes — how we managed, I still don’t know.

The idea to bring Aawitan Kita abroad had been in the burner for the longest period. I can’t explain why it didn’t push through when I was much younger and still had the strength and energy to do all the planning down to the littlest detail, not to mention lugging my own suitcases. Some blame the stubborn position I took when dealing with wannabe producers of yore: “If you won’t bring my costumes person as part of the tour, then there’s no way we’re going.” Still, timing is timing. What happens, happens when it’s really supposed to, and that’s how it was for Aawitan kita sa Amerika, 2011. We’ve been booked for 2012, but wait, I’m going ahead of the story..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20110607com4.html

0 comments

Blog Archive