• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Meltdown SHE SAYS Dinah S. Ventura 03/16/2011

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Meltdown

SHE SAYS
Dinah S. Ventura
03/16/2011
Monday afternoon was sunny and warm — warmer than usual, a worried colleague observed as she hurried in and showed me a text message about the rumored “arrival” in the Philippines of nuclear radiation leak from Japan’s Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Naturally, I felt a twinge of nervousness upon receiving the news. First of all, it was already 3:29 p.m, and I was in the office, approximately one hour away from our house. The message, allegedly from BBC News, advised: Asian countries should take precautions by “staying indoors for 24 hours, closing all doors and windows and swabbing the neck with Betadine lotion” as radiation supposedly hits the thyroid first. The message ended with a disturbing caveat: “Radiation may hit Phil. starting at 4pm 2day.”

Because there was no time to be wasted, I forwarded the message to my loved ones, but asked them to confirm the information first by watching the news. Although I felt a sense of dread and doubt mixing in my gut, I nevertheless took the proffered Betadine lotion from my well-meaning colleague and swabbed away..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20110316com7.html

0 comments

Blog Archive