• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Honeymoon is over? NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 09/14/2010

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Honeymoon is over?

NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
09/14/2010
You read this on the 76th day that President Benigno Aquino III is in office, or 24 days to go before his honeymoon with all of us ends. How will he do after the traditional 100 days of harmony for the Chief Executive is over?

The stance of my paper is clear. Without fear or favor, said our masthead, from the time of Arroyo. Without fear or favor, still, in this presidency. And yet while I had declared observing a honeymoon with P-Noy, not once did I get an order, a request, or whatever, to go hit him. My editor respects my position, I likewise respect the paper’s clear-cut preference to stay on activist track — which is why I found Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda’s scare tactics and harangue against our reporter so disappointing. 

I make it clear I want Lacierda’s Boss to succeed. I didn’t vote for him, but how well he does in Malacañang is how well the country will do. For P-Noy to do well enough to stop rallyists of the left and right and center of the spectrum from pouring out into the streets again is what I really want to happen, as heck, I’m soon to turn 80, and my legs won’t anymore take to marching.

Barely after the elections, the Left announced “There’s no honeymoon. The total political exposition of, and opposition to Aquino, and the newly installed ruling Mafia in Malacañang is the top order of the day… a declaration of round-the-clock vigilance and just war against Mr. Aquino, who is no different to Mrs. Arroyo.”.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20100914com4.html

0 comments

Blog Archive