• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

A mad desire to read AN OUTSIDERS VIEW Ken Fuller 08/17/2010

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A mad desire to read



AN OUTSIDERS VIEW
Ken Fuller
08/17/2010
The purchase of second-hand books is one of this outsider’s few compulsions. But don’t run away with the impression that I spend my time browsing through expensive antiquarian collections in Manila or other world capitals. No, I’m talking about the hardbacks you can pick up from the second-hand stack in a chain bookstore for P99.

A few days ago, I netted another three: Elie Wiesel’s A Mad Desire to Dance (2009, what a title!); Walter Mosley’s Fearless Jones (2001); and the 50th anniversary edition of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road (2007). I kicked myself for not hitting the stack sooner, as there would almost certainly have been one or two more gems to be had.

By this means, I address both past and future. On the Road, first read 40-odd years ago, will be a trip down memory lane. Kerouac was the original “beatnik,” precursor of the hippy; he could have messed up my life with his pseudo-Buddhist, drop-out nonsense if I’d let him. He died at 46, an alcoholic mouthing right-wing sentiments. A Mad Desire, on the other hand, will be my first Wiesel, but probably not my last..... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20100817com5.html


0 comments

Blog Archive