• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

LPs into raiding Villar’s NP, no success By Angie M. Rosales 07/09/2010

Friday, July 9, 2010

LPs into raiding Villar’s NP, no success


By Angie M. Rosales
07/09/2010
The administration’s Liberal Party (LP) attempted to raid the ranks of Sen. Manuel Villar Jr. in the Senate in an apparent effort to secure the number needed to get hold of Senate leadership.

Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. yesterday bared that the LP bloc tried to set up a meeting with him in relation to the race to Senate presidency.

“The one who approached me was the other ‘rookie’ (in the Senate), TG (Teofisto) Guingona. And he said if I could meet with his group and I said I will be happy to meet with his group.

“So that I don’t come with false pretenses, I said my position is very clear that I ran with the NP (Nacionalista Party), I won with the NP, so I will stay within the group. Having said that, I told him that maybe if they still want to see me, I will be very glad to meet them. But it was not pursued further so that was the end of that. That was in our last session of the House, sometime during the Joint Session, during the beginning of the canvassing procedure,” he narrated.

Sen. Francis Pangilinan, when he was presented by LP as its bet for the Senate presidency, claimed that he did not and does not intend to approach Villar’s camp to fill the gap in the required number of votes.

He is said to be still short of three votes to seal his fate as the next upper chamber leader when 15th Congress opens on July 26.

Marcos said it need not be explained why his loyalty remains with the NP considering that Villar’s party helped him get elected to the Senate.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20100709hed3.html


0 comments

Blog Archive