• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

Help NO HOLDS BARRED Armida Siguion-Reyna 07/06/2010

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Help



NO HOLDS BARRED
Armida Siguion-Reyna
07/06/2010
I fired my new maid the other day. If I had my druthers, the other one would have gone as well, except that she had been with me for a little over three months and I’m hoping against hope she still somewhat makes the grade. Which I doubt very much. We don’t get good helpers anymore, the better ones have gone to greener pastures abroad.

Truthfully, it was no longer hunky-dory between me and the one I let go. She couldn’t remember instructions and wouldn’t write them down either. With my own long-term memory going bonkers, it was getting harder and harder for me to rely on someone just as forgetful.

Our last scene had to do with the CD remote control I could not find in my office. It was not in the usual place where I put it, on the counter behind the atril I use for my solo rehearsals for “Aawitan Kita sa Makati.” 

An atril, by the way, is a music rack, or a music stand, where a musician props up his score sheet to guide him as he plays his musical instrument. Pianos come with a built-in atril; singers and orchestra members use the stand-alone type. I’m bringing this in as just last week I sung in a public gathering, so I wanted an atril on standby, where I could easily glance at the lyrics in case I forgot any. I must have asked three people about it, and they all said there was none. As it turned out, there was a lectern onstage. No one knew what an atril was, that it served the same purpose as the lectern. It would have been easier if people had forthrightly asked, “Ano ho’ng atril?” But no one did.
.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20100706com5.html


0 comments

Blog Archive