• 6 AUGUST - *1907 - Gen. Macario Sakay, one of the Filipino military leaders who had continued fighting the imperialist United States invaders eight years into the Ph...
    11 years ago

......................................................................................

The Daily Tribune

(Without Fear or Favor)

Specials:

Bulatlat.com

World Wildlife Fund for Nature-Philippines

The Philippines Matrix Project

1-AANI from the soil and the sea ENQUIRY Demaree J. B. Raval 04/24/2010

Saturday, April 24, 2010

1-AANI from the soil and the sea



ENQUIRY
Demaree J. B. Raval
04/24/2010

Last Wednesday was my turn to restock the depleted contents of the family fridge, so I had to negotiate my way through the cacophonous rumpus and ruckus of the seafood section of Nepa-Q-Mart. I was contemplating with my usual Ilocano frugal state of mind whether to settle for the lowly galunggong or to dent my wallet with the purchase of the tastier but more expensive lapu-lapu when my attention was drawn toward a group handing out leaflets. I thought two of them looked familiar and, sure enough, they turned out to be former UP students of mine.

One is now a lawyer based in Samar, and he told me that he has been practising there since passing the Bar in 1993. His clients: the fisher folk in that depressed province in the Visayas. He was honest enough to admit to me that the financial returns for his lawyering may not be that good as compared to his compañeros in the big city. But the psychic rewards, he said, are more than he could ask for — especially when he sees the joy that lights up the faces of his poor clients. Solving fishermen’s legal problems and helping improve their lives were enough to keep him locked to that kind of law practice.... MORE

SourceThe Daily Tribune

URL: http://www.tribuneonline.org/commentary/20100424com3.html

0 comments

Blog Archive